Wednesday 12 October 2011

Reading recommendations

I need help, there, I'm not afraid to say it, but I really do need some help with what I am reading at the moment, or rather with the type of books I am reading.

First of all there was The Resurrectionists  by Michael Collins, set in the depths of a harsh Michigan winter, a tale of murder, distrust, revenge and sons paying for their fathers' sins.

Next came We have to talk about Kevin, by Lionel Shiver, I AM NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, all I am going to say is, that, I think I have been trying to finish this book for about a year now, again it is a story of death, murder and a very, very 'odd' mother!! I read a review of this book that said it was 'a comfort and a revelation' well so far I have found it neither. I'm just going to wait for the film to be released instead.

So up next is Stephen Kings' Full Dark, No Stars, five short stories dealing with death, murder, revenge, and how evil the human spirit can become.

I am currently reading a book by Joanne Harris, I absolutely loved Five Quarters of the Orange, so I thought I would give blueeyedboy a go, now I don't know if any of you have read this book, but there is a definite pattern emerging in my reading...death, murder, revenge, mad fathers, bad mothers, evil sociopathic sons...

So I need something more cheerful to read, something to brighten my day a little...maybe a nice gentle love story perhaps, or something really, really funny.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm going to add most of those to my list, (except Kevin!)...they sound dark and murderous to boot:) I know what you mean though - sometimes you need to cleanse your palate with something light. The last 'comforting' book I read was a Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas, and I loved it; didn't want it to end. While not exactly light reading material, this autobiography is written with so brave and uplifting an outlook that you can't help but feel happy and lucky at the end.
    http://www.abigailthomas.net/abigail-thomas-three-dog-life.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to talk about Kevin is in the cinema this weekend, starring Tilde Swindon (one of my fav actresses!). I liked the book, but can totally understand people struggling with it, it's an unusual viewpoint the way its written. I need something uplifting too, just read Cold Mountain which I really liked, beautifully written, but wouldn't mind a page turner next :) Might give Three Dog Life ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message.