Tuesday 9 August 2011

Stand By Me. A Classic.


 The movie Stand By Me is twenty five years old this year (actually it was released 25years ago yesterday 8th August) and can now be considered a classic. I loved this movie when it came out and still do! Everything about it reminds me of my own childhood, the hot summers, the lazy days, the music...

I grew up in the country and yes, of course,  looking back the summers were longer and hotter; we used to burst the tar bubbles on the road with our bare feet! (it drove my Mum mad trying to scrub it off),  it never rained, and life was just so uncomplicated.

I remember packing my jam sarnies in a bag, loading my cat into the basket on my bike and heading off into the woods for adventures, didn't find any dead bodies, though, there was a murder committed not far from where we lived! I'd be gone all day and trail home very dirty, very tired, usually missing my shoes, my cardigan, and/or the cat!

Wil Wheaton (Gordie Lechance) did a radio interview recently about the movie, and also check out Wils' blog where he writes very movingly about the movie and its young stars, and how life, in this case, has imitated art.

Wil has gone to become a writer, much like his character Gordie; River Phoenix died when he was 23 (his character Chris Chambers also died young); Corey Feldmen (Teddy Duchamp) has fought his own demons; and here's Jerry O'Connell (Vern) talking about the movie, how many of you realised  that this is guy that played Vern?







You probably all know that the film was based a Stephen King short story called The Body, I'm not gone on some of Stephen Kings newer stuff, but I have always enjoyed his short stories. All this came about because I am reading Full Dark, No Stars.

  

1 comment:

  1. I love this movie I was the same age as the kids starring in it when it was released, and had an enormous crush on River Phoneix, I even liked him when he starred in the horrendous TV series Seven Brides for Seven Brothers which I used to watch on Sunday afternoons in my Grannys house. God I feel REALLY old now, can't believe that was 25 years ago, gulp! Is the book you're reading any good? (Oh and welcome home!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message.