Sunday 10 July 2011

Podcasting

I have uploaded my very first podcast, entitled 'Behind the Issue Desk' though I'm  not sure how good it is, but I've done it!!!

This 'thing' was definitely more time consuming and technical than the earlier ones. It took me several attempts to actually record it without everybody cracking up with laughter. In the end I waited until I had the house to myself so that I didn't have an audience to distract me!

After finally composing myself enough to make a presentable recording, I exported it as an MP3, and this is where I became a bit unstuck because I couldn't figure out how to upload it to the blog, but I did a quick search and found the help I needed. You are never on your own on the Internet there is always a forum or a blog out there to help you.

All I can say is I need to work from a script, ad libbing is not an option for me, I either forgot what I wanted to say or rambled completely off the point! Also, keep your sentences short, otherwise you will forget to breathe and then you sound like some deviant heavy breather!

Although the podcast took some time and effort I still enjoyed it, I like learning new things, but I would need a lot more practice and I would definitely need to play around with the editing software before I would feel confident enough to create a podcast on a more regular basis.

I used a free hosting site called Podbean to publish it (another password for the little blue book) and have added my production to the side bar, take a listen, have a laugh and let me know what you think, but be kind after all this is my first attempt.

Oh, and one more thing, if you do decide to listen to it, please do it quietly or better still use headphones! If I hear myself around the office I will be mortified!

4 comments:

  1. Well done Ann Lib, you are both brave & ahead of the curve! I'm still trying to psyche myself up to this challenge cos I hate the sound of my own voice but you've instilled some courage:) Now to think of something to blab about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done AL. This was a very involved exercise so congrats on completing the task. Your first podcast is excellent! You're right - a podcast does take some planning and my experience is that a script is essential, otherwise you can end up rambling. Remember with a podcast your intention is to publish, so you need to have a product that your listeners will find interesting. It should have some useful information and be clear and concise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, I pretty much just wanted to get this out of the way, so I really didn't put whole lot of thought into the actual content of the podcast - maybe next time it will actually be something from 'behind the issue desk' - maybe a regular weekly/monthly journals podcast? I will put some thought into and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just listened to your podcast, and I'm so impressed! It's witty and succinct and contrary to what you think yourself, your voice sounds great, really clear and you sound so confident and calm. I have to agree with Pitseleh, you're very brave! I'm still figuring out how to do it, but am already cringing at the thought of listening back to myself. Well done Anon :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message.