Friday 1 July 2011

to Kindle or not to Kindle

I have toyed with the idea of buying a Kindle/ebook reader recently, I even went so far as to check out the specs and prices of various makes of readers, tablets and the iPad; though, I have to say, after seeing the South Park episode 'Human CentiPAD' I have kinda gone off the idea of an iPad. If you've seen this episode you'll know what I'm talking about, if you haven't seen it...then...well...ALWAYS READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE YOU TICK THE BOX, that's all I'm saying...

Anyways, what I really wanted to tell you is that I came across a KindleApp that you can download for your PC/Laptop on Amazon which is quite nifty. So you don't need a Kindle to buy the Kindle edition of your favourite reads, it also gives you the option to move your ebooks between different devices, so what you download at home, you can bring into work with you to read (in your tea/coffee/lunch breaks of course!).

Don't worry I  haven't crossed over to the dark side and bought an ebook yet! I have downloaded a couple of 'samples' which is the Kindle version of the 'look inside' option, just as an experiment you understand, just to see what the dark side is like...
  

3 comments:

  1. I fully condone your use of electronic devices. We can have both!! Report back from the dark side. Handy app by the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Kindle is dead in the water. With so many tablets available, who is going to invest so much money in a device that only serves one purpose?
    My sister has a Kindle got it as a 40th birthday present, she travels ALOT so it's invaluable, but I've heard her muttering of late, that it's a pain having to carry both that and her laptop, especially with all the weight restrictions at airports these days(and lets face it you can never pack too many shoes!).

    Personally, It's not for me, I downloaded an ereader app for my macbook, but I just don't want to read fiction on a computer screen.
    Apart from the addictive smell and feel of books, they are also pretty indestructible. I regularly fall asleep reading, and it could be expensive to have an ereader crashing to the floor from the bed or worse still rolling onto it and crushing it, the mind boggles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Amazon will pretty it up to keep it competitive, but it is not for me either - give me the real thing, much easier to handle, just a turn the page and it is all there for you! no downloading, no upgrading of software etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message.